Since the 2016 Matric Results Announcement on Wednesday evening, there has been a lot of excitement, nerves, cheers and tears around the country (for some insight into these results, read Mail & Guardian’s article). While some school leavers are celebrating the end of a long chapter in their lives, others may feel disappointed or even discouraged by the results they received. Maybe you did not manage to pass the exam or maybe you did not meet the admission requirements of the course you wanted to enroll for this year (see our blog on applying to further education for more information on admission requirements).

Whatever the case may be, we have some good news!! You are definitely not at the end of the road and there are quite a few ways to get back on track!

But first things first >> if you have not yet checked your results, view it here

#1 Re-mark or re-check

If you are a few percentage points away from meeting the pass or admission requirement in one or more subjects, you can have your exam paper(s) re-marked or re-checked.
Re-mark refers to where an examiner will remark the entire examination paper again (cost R92 per paper).
Re-check refers to where an official will check that all questions have been marked and that all marks have been added to get the total (cost R21 per paper).
You can apply at your school or a disrict office (see the back of your result statement) before 19 January 2017. If you were conditionally accepted for a course at an institution of higher education, but missed the admission requirement with a few percentage points, contact the institution’s admission office to let them know that you are getting your paper re-marked or re-checked. If your ammended results meet the requirements, let the instituion know right away!!

#2 Re-write

If you did not meet the pass requirements for the National Senior Certificate, you can apply to write the supplementary exams (these normally take place from middle February towards the end of March). Please read the conditions below to see whether you qualify.

Applications close 19 January 2017!

Conditions for entry as per the regulations governing the supplementary examination


  • If a candidate has not met the minimum promotion and certification requirements in the final external examination, but requires a maximum of two subjects to obtain the National Senior Certificate, he or she may register for a maximum of two subjects for the supplementary examination in the year following the final external examination. These two subjects must be subjects that the candidate sat for in the previous end-of-year examination.
  • If a candidate is medically unfit and, as a result, was absent from one or more external examinations, he or she may register for the supplementary examination.
  • If there is a death in the immediate family of a candidate, or other special reasons for the candidate’s absence, he or she may register for the supplementary examination.
  • A candidate who provides documentary evidence that he or she qualifies for admission to a higher education institution or for an occupation, but does not satisfy the higher education faculty requirements or the requirements for the specific occupation, as well as a candidate who is one requirement short in meeting the minimum admission requirements for Higher Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor’s degree programmes, may be allowed to register for a maximum of two subjects.
  • In a case where an irregularity is being investigated, provisional enrolment for supplementary examination may be granted to the candidate concerned, pending the outcome of the investigation.
  • A candidate who was unable to write or complete one or more of the National Senior Certificate examination question papers for reasons other than illness or injury may apply to write the supplementary examination, provided that a written report is submitted by the principal of the school to the Head of the assessment body.

#3 Re-do: Go back to school

If you do not qualify for the supplementary exams and/or still do not meet the pass or admission requirements after a re-check or re-mark, you can always go back to school. This will allow you to either re-do Grade 12,  improve some of your subjects or add subjects to your National Senior Certificate. If you do not feel like going back to the school you bid farewell last year, you can always register at institutions like these listed below:

Intec College  |   Damelin  |  Abbott’s College  |  Brainline  |  MasterMaths (Mathematics and Physical Sciences)

Just remember that you have to register to write the end of year exams by 15 March.


Bridging courses and Extended Degree Programmes

Some institutions allow prospective students to enroll into a bridging course or extended degree programme (EDP) – contact your institution of choice to find out more about what they offer.

  • Bridging courses might assist you to improve certain subjects by providing tutors/classes to prepare you to re-write the subject(s) at the end of the year (see the SciMathUs programme at Stellenbosch University as example). It may also prepare you for further education in certain fields.
  • EDP’s allow access to certain courses for prospective students with marks slightly below the admission requirement. EDP’s usually take a year or two longer than the mainstream course to complete

#4 Re-route: Finish your schooling with vocational training

If you did not pass your NSC examination and do not want to go back to school, you can complete your schooling in a vocational field by enrolling for a NSC (Vocational) or N Courses (N3-N6) at a Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college (previously called FET Colleges). 
Learners with credits from the National Senior Certificate (Matric) will receive recognition for equivalent subjects when enrolling for the NSC(V) and are able to exit the TVET College with a vocational qualification, which could lead to further education (in the vocational field) or employment.

TVET courses are vocational or occupational by nature, meaning that the student receives education and training with a view towards a specific range of jobs or employment possibilities.  Under certain conditions, some students may qualify for admission to a University of Technology to continue their studies at a higher level in the same field of study as they were studying at the TVET College.

For more information visit or find the contact information for a TVET College in your area by scrolling to the bottom of our Online Info Guide.

Did these tips help you? Share them on Facebook and feel free to contact us or leave a comment if you have any questions.

For other resources and more information, visit the Department of Education’s NSC site.

We wish you the best for 2017!!

Photo borrowed from Piketberg High School. For more information on CareerPrep’s relationship with this school, visit or